Thursday, July 22, 2010

Happy Birthday, Papaw




This is re-post of a blog I wrote a year ago today..







Today would have been my grandfather's 92nd birthday. I think of him everyday, and yesterday I mentioned to my sister that we should do something to celebrate his birthday.

I thought of getting Oreo blizzards from Dairy Queen, then I thought of getting some Cookies and Cream ice cream, which he always had in his freezer.

My sister also suggested that we get some root beer, which was also something he had plenty of when we were growing up.

So, this afternoon, my sister went shopping for these things, and she also bought a cake. She also called our parents and invited them to celebrate with us.

This evening, me, Leslee, her husband and kids, and our parents gathered around the table holding hands and sang Happy Birthday to Papaw while looking toward Heaven.

It was a wonderful day to celebrate the life of such a great man. Thinking of all his stories and jokes, how much he loved to garden and help people.

The only thing that makes me sad, is thinking of his illness. I remember taking care of him, making his breakfast, giving him his pills and all that stuff.

I miss being able to see him everyday. I miss hearing his laugh, his jokes, watching him work word searches and reading Consumer Reports.

I'm very thankful for all the memories I have of him. The root beer and popcorn we'd have on nights we'd stay at his house, swinging with him in the porch swing. He loved it when we'd swing really fast. I think of him everytime I eat at Bob Evans, and can still hear him laughing, because he knows I always order their french toast.

Although he wasn't with us today physically, I know he was watching us from Heaven with a big smile on his face.

Happy Birthday Papaw......I LOVE YOU!!

1 comment:

  1. Such wonderful memories, and a great way to keep the memory of your Papaw alive!

    ReplyDelete