Monday, July 26, 2010

What Country Music Should Be (Part Two)

I wrote a blog last week about what I think country music should be. The entry talked about Patty Loveless, a singer I consider to be one of the TRUE voices in country music.

This second part will deal with another.

Her name is Kathy Mattea. I have been a fan of hers for many years, even before I found out she was from my home state of West Virginia.

The first song I heard from her was, Eighteen Wheels and a Dozen Roses. I was around the age of nine at the time, and from then on, I was hooked.

During that time in her career, she was all over the radio. She also had the respect of the industry winning many industry awards, including CMA Female Vocalist of the Year in 1989 and 1990. She is also the recipient of two Grammy Awards.

Unfortunately, by the end of the decade, her hits seemed to dry up. In 2000, after the release of her album, The Innocent Years, she parted ways with her record company.

She then decided it was time for her to do the music she wanted to do, with or without help from radio, and major record labels.

Since taking charge of her music, Mattea has released four albums, Roses, Joy For Christmas Day, and Right Out of Nowhere.

Her fourth album was released in April, and is titled, Coal.

She planned the album after the Sago Mine disaster in January of 2006.

The album is a tribute to her grandfathers, who both worked in the mines. Songs on the album include, Blue Diamond Mines, Coal Tattoo, and You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive.

Critics have hailed Coal as the best album of her career. I totally agree, this album is perfect in every way.

I have wondered during the writing of these two entries why these two talented performers are no longer receiving radio airplay.

Is it because they aren't twenty-something? Is it because they're "too country" for country music?

I think the actual answer is that they refused to change their music styles to become what the "suits" would accept.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment