Saturday, January 15, 2011

Just For Being Me

From MySpace

Dec 27, 2006

During the end of every school year, there is always some sort of awards assembly. Usually handing out certificates for perfect attendance, and various other scholarly achievements.

Here is a story of the year that I was given an award for being myself.

At the end of every school year, the school presented two awards, named in honor of two women who had left a lasting mark on the school.

The first award was the Kelli Maxwell Award. The award was named for a young girl who had been killed by a drunk driver, while waiting at her bus stop. She was set to begin the seventh grade. This award was presented annually to one outstanding seventh grader.

The second award was named in honor of one of the school's previous teachers. The award is called the Reba Ray "CARE" Award. It is presented annually to two outstanding eighth graders.

The day of the awards assembly, was also the day the outgoing eighth graders headed to the high school, to get us familiar with what would be our new surroundings, in the fall.

During our orientation at the high school, my sister Emily was taking me where I needed to go. I told her that I didn't want to go to the awards assembly when I went back to the middle school. I figured it was going to be boring and hot. She told me to go ahead and go, that way I could tell her who won the two main awards.

We head back to the middle school, and a short while later, they call all students to the gym.

They hand out a few more awards. Then they present the Kelli Maxwell Award to Kassie Waldorf.

A few minutes later they are ready to present the Reba Ray Award. The person announcing the award spends a few minutes, telling the audience about this teacher. And what made her so special to everyone who knew her.

Then she says, "The 1994 recipients of the Reba Ray "CARE" Award are, Jennifer Beller and Ryan Sayre."

When I heard my name, I thought I was dreaming. Everything happened so fast. I pushed myself to where the announcer was, and she handed me a small plaque. My name is right in the middle in big letters. As I turned the wheelchair to head back to where I was before, I notice my parents are standing in the corner of the gym.

They came up and congratulated me on the award, and they said they were very proud.

After a few more words, we were excused. As I was heading toward the exit, I asked them how they knew about the awards assembly. Mom told me that after I went to bed the night before, a counselor from the school called, and informed them that I had won.

Winning the award was such a special way to wrap up my time in middle school.

This story proves what I've always found to be true. When you are kind to others, good things come your way!!

No comments:

Post a Comment