Saturday, January 15, 2011

My Voice Will Be Heard

Another one..

Dec 18, 2006

I'm sure that everyone has heard the saying, "every cloud has a silver lining." The following story is about when I discovered that it is true.

In 1990, I was in the sixth grade. I had the same teacher that my brother and sister had had before me. I thought the year was going to be a breeze, because she worked so well with my brother. It wasn't. She was a good teacher, but I didn't apply myself very much.

During the last week of school, my parents had a meeting with the teacher, and they thought it best if I repeated the grade again next year. My parents broke the news to me when I came home from school. I sat there speechless, I was crushed by the news, but I knew it was the right thing to do.

Just before the next school year started, my parents found out that I was scheduled to have the same teacher again. They made a call to the school, asking to have me placed with another teacher. Thankfully, I was placed with the other teacher.

Her name was Mrs. Burnette, and she was such a great person, and very easy to learn from. She was very big on music, so she put together a choir. Being quite the performer, I joined the choir. I figured it would be a great way to enjoy my second shot at sixth grade. And I was right.

During the beginning of December, she got the choir together, and told us we would be putting on a Christmas program for the school. The program consisted of several songs of the season. It also had some narration. She asked people who were interested in narrating to raise their hands. I was one of several with a raised hand.

She called my name, and told the others not to worry, because she was going to try-out several people, and then pick who she thought was best. The other people never got their chance. Once I was picked that day, she stuck with me.

We practiced for the next couple weeks, it was so much fun. We performed the program in front of the entire school one afternoon, and the audience loved it. A few days later, we performed for our families.

When I spoke the first few words of the narration, my parents had a look of surprise on their faces. On the way home, they asked me where the voice came from. I told them that it was from practicing, although I hadn't done much of it.

A week later, we performed at both the Town Center Mall, and the Kanawha Mall. After our performance at the Town Center, a female shopper talked with Mrs. Burnette. Then they headed in my direction. The woman introduced herself, and said that she worked for the Cultural Center. During the conversation she asked me if I would be willing to do her a favor someday soon. I immediately said yes.

The favor came in the spring. She contacted Mrs. Burnette, and informed her of an event taking place at the Cultural Center in May.

It was a huge program with several musical acts. They were introduced by two narrators. A senior from George Washington High School, and me.

After the program was over, I headed out of the building with my parents. As I was walking out, people were coming up to me, telling me what a great voice I had. They also asked what grade I was in. They seemed quite surprised when I said I was in the sixth grade.

As the school year drew to a close, I kept thinking how great the whole year had been.

I also thought of how the decision my parents made the previous year, had turned out to be one of the best things that's ever happened to me.

1 comment:

  1. I remember the Christmas cantata. I think I still have some of the sheet music around the house somewhere. Did you know Mrs. Burnette passed away?
    http://www.allbusiness.com/education-training/education-systems-institutions/13307685-1.html

    ReplyDelete